Yasmin Ahmad : my unsung talented director passed away

Somehow unrelated to Seoul and South Korea but just wanted to mention briefly on one of my talented Malaysian director. Yasmin Ahmad passed away peacefully on 26th July 2009 due to stroke.

I have once imagined myself to meet her personally, to tell her how much I adore all of her movies and creative touches. The Petronas's festivals advertisement which has touched so many hearts if not minds of Malaysian.

Loving her for being able to describe herself honestly: I am optimistic and sentimental to the point of being annoying, especially to people who think that being cynical and cold is cool. Everyday, I thank Allah for everyday things like the ability to breathe, the ability to love, the ability to laugh, and the ability to eat and drink.

Aren't those simple things in life that we should be thankful for?


In her blog, she mentioned :

"You may find this hard to believe, but I never ever think about festivals or awards while I'm writing a script or making a film. But given the flak I get back home sometimes, you cannot blame me for feeling at least a little vindicated when foreign festivals like Tokyo seek my permission to celebrate our films.

Allah is indeed great."

We did meet. In our hearts (at least) as Tokyo has acknowledged her rather than her own country. Tokyo being one of my favourite oriental metropolitan city.

Rest in peace. Al Fatihah.
0 Responses

댓글 쓰기

abcs